I just uploaded my latest video, Electress vs. Plasmar. If you’re willing, I wouldn’t mind bothering you with a little background on it, and perhaps even a little look to the future it brings.

Last Summer, Ari and I were sitting around at my apartment with too little to do. I’d been wanting to make a video, so I asked if she’d like to help me write one.

We quickly brainstormed a scenario, then sat down and wrote it. All of it. The whole thing couldn’t have taken more than an hour and a half. We just started hammering and didn’t stop until we were done.

I thought about the effects it would require throughout, and was reasonably sure I could manage all of it just with Adobe Premiere Elements, but we decided to do a quick test to make sure it was feasible. You can see said test here if you’re interested (I only recently made it publicly available).

The video idea was unlike anything I’d made before. I’d certainly imagined a few science fiction ideas in my time, but I’ve written very few, and so far have only made one actual script that I planned on making into a short film (that one is beyond my means right now, but it is almost certainly going to be made eventually).

As such, Electress vs. Plasmar was a pretty exciting prospect for me. We ended up filming it in one day a few weeks later, and I quickly set to work editing it.

That’s when the technical difficulties began. First, the footage didn’t play very well on my computer because of the camera’s high resolution and level of compression. My solution was to render each clip out as a small-resolution version to work with and a high-res version to switch it out for later.

Not only did that take forever, but after editing about 2/3 of the film, I tried it again only to find out that it didn’t work.

Shortly after that, my external hard drive enclosure failed. I took the drive out and tested it in my brother’s computer, and I could use it just fine there, but the enclosure itself was toast.

Facing a difficult time financially and being in the midst of one of my busiest semesters of college, I put off buying a replacement. I still had the footage on my laptop, but it just wasn’t fast enough to edit well (or quickly). I had discovered that I could install Adobe Premiere Elements on the lab computers on campus and edit there quite well, but without the time and external drive to transport it, it wasn’t going to happen.

The semester ended, a new year came, I got married, and things settled down somewhat financially. By the way, the getting married part was not as sudden as the last sentence may have made it sound.

I finally bought a new external enclosure in February, and immediately got to work editing. I abandoned the different-resolutions idea and edited using the originals. I still had the effects presets, and was able to get a pretty good rough cut together in just a few weeks off occasional editing.

I got busy making less ambitious videos, which impeded my progress a little, but it was good to do and have videos released more frequently. Then, finally, I made the finishing touches on Electress vs. Plasmar and hit Export for the last time. Uploading took a great deal longer than I would have liked, but hey, it’s a drop in the bucket compared to how long it took to get it together.

I do plan on making a few sequels to Electress vs. Plasmar. I have a firm idea for three more, and I’ve written about half of the script for the next one. New characters will be introduced, and I think the naming of each one will correspond to the characters at play (Plasmar vs. Particon is the next one), and the powers of each character will play a more central role. There will also be slightly less banter than this first one, though it will vary.

It’s been a long road getting here, and I promise that it will be far less time until the next one! Without further ado, I present: Electress vs. Plasmar!

Advertisements